Refuse/d words built into infinite forms of bodies. This collection is unedited; done in one sitting; sometimes daily, frequently infrequent.

Thursday, October 7, 2010

I look familiar

I’ve been to Serbia
To Bosnia
And Croatia
I svugdje
Sam “nasa Maja”
Because I love
Food, white stone,
Thick woods
The faint smell
Of smog liquor winter
Urine in alleyways
Soup in the afternoon
Because I know the
Formalities of church
Crocheted doilies, miniature gilt frames
Because I grew up ironing underwear
And athletic socks
Because I know which men
Will push you around
Because my hips are wide
And I have a mole on my cheek
My eyes are old
And savagely European
Because I wear tall boots and
black pants and gold jewelry
Whenever possible
Because I smoke cigarettes
At cafes and will not say no
To coffee or kisses
Because I have stood overlooking
Sarajevo,
I am Theirs
I am their Maja. 

No comments:

Post a Comment