Refuse/d words built into infinite forms of bodies. This collection is unedited; done in one sitting; sometimes daily, frequently infrequent.

Monday, October 18, 2010

Deer Island, 2010


In a high wind, the island threatens to rip
From the harbor.  Air currents tempt and touch the land swell,
Sweeping through the long grass, whistling
Around anchored stones.  The children and I
Try and spot all the lighthouses on the vacant
Slab spots farther out in the water.  We see a boat on fire.
We discuss the cracked shell of a mussel
On the boardwalk, the effort of a seabird.
We walk on a nice day, and one girl runs ahead
Into the hollowed space between clouds.
On the south end, the sewage plant hums,
The mechanical digestion of city waste.
We listen to a wind turbine spin-
The continuous, measured crashing of a wave.
I show a child the wrinkled bud of a rose hip
And remember eating them
with my mother on Nantucket.   You can make
tea with them, I explain.  They are tart and clean.
But I know my information doesn’t matter just now.
The city rises up on the opposite shore.
What a barren place the island is, with no trees.
People froze here, in the winter
Looking at the small smoke from fires
On the mainland. 
I try and tell the children this,
But ghosts you cannot taste or touch
And children know truth is in the senses.
I try and hear them just the same,
 beneath the turbines,
Their bones beneath the grass.  In the gray water.
They are cracked shells on wet stone.

1 comment:

  1. I have these types of conversations a lot. Trying to explain something that the respondents just don't hear. Interesting place, that Deer Island.

    ReplyDelete