Refuse/d words built into infinite forms of bodies. This collection is unedited; done in one sitting; sometimes daily, frequently infrequent.

Friday, September 24, 2010

Sometimes Mother



My mother is five years gone and
Sometimes I still want to say her name
In the stairwell
Where it bounces around
Waiting to receive an answer.
I think my body is becoming more like hers
And I move her way sometimes
And sometimes I stumble
Over English words
Even though I speak English.
I’d like to sit with her quietly
Again on the couch with her sewing box
Stuffed and waiting.
Women are oceans
And mothers make harbors of us.
Sometimes I am full of frightful weather
Ballads are written about my unpredictability
But I draw out ships to me just the same
And wreck them easy
With the sweetness and mystery
Of storytelling.
My fingers touch so many shores
Sea creatures with spotted faces grow
Twisting silently inside me.
I wonder if there is a crescent of land
That will still contain me,
An arm wrapped around
The very center of my body.

2 comments:

  1. Really beautiful. I love when you use the sea. Sometimes I think I could (less eloquently) write the exact same things you do because I feel exactly the same. SISTERS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Women are oceans
    And mothers make harbors of us.

    Just started reading because I rarely check my email carefully. This is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete